- An extension to SQL with design features of programming languages (procedural and object oriented)
- PL/SQL and Java are both supported as internal host languages within Oracle products.
- The PL/SQL procedural language was developed by Oracle Corporation in the late 1980s as procedural extension language for SQL and the Oracle relational database.
Following are notable facts about PL/SQL:
- It is a completely portable, high-performance transaction-processing language.
- PL/SQL provides a built-in interpreted and OS independent programming environment.
- PL/SQL can also directly be called from the command-line SQL*Plus interface.
- Direct call can also be made from external programming language calls to database.
- PL/SQL’s general syntax is based on that of ADA and Pascal programming language.
- Apart from Oracle, PL/SQL is available in TimesTen in-memory database and IBM DB2.
- Acts as host language for stored procedures and triggers.
- Provides the ability to add middle tier business logic to client/server applications.
- It also provides Portability of code from one environment to another
- Improves performance of multi-query transactions.
- Also provides error handling.
The PL/SQL has the following features:
- PL/SQL is tightly integrated with SQL.
- It offers extensive error checking.
- Also it offers numerous data types.
- It offers a variety of programming structures.
- PL/SQL supports structured programming through functions and procedures.
- It supports object oriented programming.
- Also supports developing web applications and server pages.
Advantages of PL/SQL
PL/SQL has the following advantages :
- SQL is the standard database language and PL/SQL is strongly integrated with SQL. PL/SQL supports both static and dynamic SQL.
- Static SQL supports DML operations and transaction control from PL/SQL block.
- Dynamic SQL is SQL allows embedding DDL statements in PL/SQL blocks.
- PL/SQL allows sending an entire block of statements to the database at one time. This reduces network traffic and provides high performance for the applications.
- Also give high productivity to programmers as it can query, transform, and update data in a database.