- An extension to SQL with design features of programming languages (procedural and object oriented)
- PL/SQL and Java are both supported as internal host languages within Oracle products.
- The PL/SQL procedural language was developed by Oracle Corporation in the late 1980s as procedural extension language for SQL and the Oracle relational database.
Following are notable facts about PL/SQL:
- It is a completely portable, high-performance transaction-processing language.
- PL/SQL provides a built-in interpreted and OS independent programming environment.
- PL/SQL can also directly be called from the command-line SQL*Plus interface.
- Direct call can also be made from external programming language calls to database.
- PL/SQL’s general syntax is based on that of ADA and Pascal programming language.
- Apart from Oracle, PL/SQL is available in TimesTen in-memory database and IBM DB2.
- Acts as host language for stored procedures and triggers.
- Provides the ability to add middle tier business logic to client/server applications.
- It also provides Portability of code from one environment to another
- Improves performance of multi-query transactions.
- Also provides error handling.
The PL/SQL has the following features:
- PL/SQL is tightly integrated with SQL.
- It offers extensive error checking.
- Also it offers numerous data types.
- It offers a variety of programming structures.
- PL/SQL supports structured programming through functions and procedures.
- It supports object oriented programming.
- Also supports developing web applications and server pages.
Advantages of PL/SQL
PL/SQL has the following advantages :
- SQL is the standard database language and PL/SQL is strongly integrated with SQL. PL/SQL supports both static and dynamic SQL.
- Static SQL supports DML operations and transaction control from PL/SQL block.
- Dynamic SQL is SQL allows embedding DDL statements in PL/SQL blocks.
- PL/SQL allows sending an entire block of statements to the database at one time. This reduces network traffic and provides high performance for the applications.
- Also give high productivity to programmers as it can query, transform, and update data in a database.
17 thoughts on “PL/SQL – An Overview”
I believe that is one of the so much important information for me. And i am glad studying your article. But should remark on some basic things, The website style is great, the articles is actually nice : D. Just right process, cheers| Selia Charles Koby
Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you penning this write-up and also the rest of the website is very good. Antonietta Boyce Alvin
Awsome website! I am loving it!! Will be back later to read some more. I am taking your feeds also. Leora Krispin Ellicott
Hi there. I found your website by way of Google whilst searching for a related matter, your site got here up. It appears great. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks to visit then. Anitra Steven Greenwell
Usually I do not read article on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very pressured me to check out and do so! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thanks, very nice post. Fleurette Aron Ponton
I will recommend your beautiful post site to my friends Geneva Poul Celestyn
I like a very useful article, I like our page and follow it Emalee Horton Brockie
Your story is so encouraging to those of us with similar trauma. Keep sharing and writing, please! Iormina Gaspar Thury
These are truly fantastic ideas in concerning blogging. You have touched some fastidious factors here. Any way keep up wrinting. Barbaraanne Winnie Alda
Thanks again for the article. Really thank you! Really Great. Ingeborg Mario Manwell
I was wondering if you ever considered changing the structure of your blog? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or 2 pictures. Maybe you could space it out better? Jemima Harper Mayhew
Having read this I believed it was extremely enlightening. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to put this short article together. I once again find myself personally spending a significant amount of time both reading and leaving comments. But so what, it was still worth it! Ezmeralda Lanny Maite
Hiya very nice website!! Guy .. Excellent .. Superb .. Birgitta Ermin Cicily
I have read so many posts about the blogger lovers however this article is really a fastidious post, keep it up. Estele Xever Hazem
Hi my friend! I want to say that this post is amazing, nice written and come with approximately all significant infos. I would like to look more posts like this . Stacy Sylas Kalvn
I have read a few just right stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking for revisiting. Ede Raynard Horwitz
Thankfulness to my father who told me concerning this website, this webpage is actually awesome. Michele Gerek Carlynn