- An extension to SQL with design features of programming languages (procedural and object oriented)
- PL/SQL and Java are both supported as internal host languages within Oracle products.
- The PL/SQL procedural language was developed by Oracle Corporation in the late 1980s as procedural extension language for SQL and the Oracle relational database.
Following are notable facts about PL/SQL:
- It is a completely portable, high-performance transaction-processing language.
- PL/SQL provides a built-in interpreted and OS independent programming environment.